1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Flowmaster or Magnaflow. If flowmaster, Delta 50 or SUV?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by maxpower_454, Nov 2, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 Member

I have a 91 Chevy k1500 short box with a 305 currently. I will be putting in a 350 with vortec heads next year and will also be putting headers on it at the same time as the engine swap. My truck has stock exhaust on it now and it just sounds old and very quiet. I want dual exhaust and will probably go with a single in dual out for simplicity.

I'm trying to decide between a magnaflow muffler (don't know how they sound) or a flowmaster delta 50 or a 50 SUV. I don't want the truck much louder than stock, I just want it to sound good. Also, I'm sure the headers will make it louder (anyone know if this is true?) so I don't want to get a very loud muffler. Is the Flowmaster SUV a good muffler to go with? Anyone using this right now? how does it sound?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Two years ago I put a 3" catback on my burb. Consensus then was the Magnaflow was quieter than the Flowmaster. Went with a new cat and the customary chrome tip out the rear to one side. Sounds plenty good. In the beginning I thought it was a bit too loud, but now I pretty happy with the sound. There is a drone at about 50mph that is noticeable in a burb, probably ok in a truck. I don't spend a lot of time at 50!

Additional noise from headers will come from the headers themselves the noise from the exhaust pulses will pass through the minimal tubing walls vs the thick mass of cast iron manifolds.

3. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

Do a single out, it provides enough back pressure and still gives you good flow. 3 inch for best results! check out my exhaust that i put on my truck. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVit3JRk26o"]YouTube- My Chevy 4.8L Side Exit exhaust[/ame]

If I did this to my 03, it's be even sicker on your older model. This is no cats with no muffler straight pipe

4. maxpower_454

maxpower_454 Member

That would be way too loud for me but thatnks for the thought.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

People complain about the drone with the magnaflow, but i dont really notice it at all. Its not a loud setup which my wife likes but it does give it a throatier sound. I wouldnt mind going a little louder but I like the magnaflows.