flushing the cooling system. Any advise?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Indyandy, May 29, 2013.

1. Indyandy

Indyandy Member

2000 K2500 7.4L
    Just replaced the intake gaskets, now I want to flush the cooling system and get rid of any left over Dexicool. How much coolant do I need? What flush do you recomend? Do I need to put in any additives with the green coolant? Thanks.

2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the coolant to use is dexcool GM approved coolant . if you do replace the coolant with some other non GM approved dexcool coolant you must acid flush the system . then replace all the hoses flush out the heater core/ plastic tank. also to drain the engine completely is not easy to remove the drain plugs on the block.

I have used dexcool since 1996 and my 1996 and 2000 vehicles have no coolant issues. I do use distilled water and 65 % dexcool to 35 % distilled water . replace every 3-4 yrs.

3. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

after draining the radiator...
    remove the thermostat and upper hose from the radiator. point the hose from the thermostat, down.
    stick the hose in the radiator cap opening
    run the truck with the heater on full blast for around 5 min, untill water comming out of the engine is clean.
    also a good idea to CLR or scrub out the overflow bottle some how...
    then your basically done. just refill. i usually do at least 60/40 antifreeze/disstilled water

4. 4x4squared

4x4squared Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

id do this. just running water through isnt going to clean it out