1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

FOB instructions

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Cableguy, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This was sent to me in a PM from TCtrekker. Can someone help?

"I have a 1999 Olds Alero and both of the remotes no longer work. I have replaced the batteries with no
    success and I was told that I may have to re-program
    them. Do you have the re-program instructions?
    GM remote # 25678792"

Thanks guys!

2. Cableguy

Looks like I might have found it...

"Well unfortunatly with most Olds Products you have to have a scan tool to program the transmitters. You will have to take it to a dealer and spend probably around 50 bucks.

Transmitter Programming

A remote door lock receiver may have up to 4 different transmitters programmed. You may program a transmitter to more than 1 vehicle providing the remote keyless entry systems are similar. When reprogramming 1 transmitter, reprogram any and all other transmitters (maximum of 4 total per receiver) at the same time in order for the other transmitters to work.

Important
    Leave a window down in the vehicle while reprogramming the remote control door lock receiver system. This procedure will avoid an unintentional lock out if the reprogramming is not performed properly.

Turn off the ignition.
    Utilize a Tech 2 to program the remote door lock receiver.
    Enter diagnostics (F0).
    Enter body (F1); select the year (X) and body style (N).
    Select "Remote Function Actuation" (F3).
    Select "Special Functions" (F2).
    Select "Program Transmitters" (F0).
    Select the number of transmitters to program (1-4)
    Follow the on-screen instructions; press continue, wait for the locks to cycle, hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 15-30 seconds, the locks will cycle again.
    Exit the vehicle. Attempt to lock/unlock the doors to verify the programming.
    Perform the following steps if the above procedure does not program the transmitter.
    Reconnect the Tech 2.
    Enter service programming (F1).
    Press the "REQUEST INFO" key.
    Select "Reprogram Existing Module"
    Exit the vehicle and remove the Tech 2.
    Follow the existing procedure to reflash the body control module. "

3. Cableguy

Let me know if there is another way to do this fellas. This is all I could find.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

There are somes makes/models that are not programmable. Fortunately, as of late, many dealers are doing this for free if you buy the key fob from them.

5. Blewzman

Blewzman New Member

I have a ? 2003 2500HD the remotes have got mad cow! They started getting weak so I replace the batteries, now one will lock the truck one won't do anything but both will make the horn blow?!?!? I have went through the steps in the owners manual plus the steps listed on this site for resync and nothing. Got any advice?

6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If all else fails you may have to take it to the dealer and have them do it. When I bought our 2001 Suburban, it only came with 1 FOB so i bought another at the dealer and had a tech program it for me.
    Good luck!

7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is also a few instructions I found while Googleing.

Close all the vehicle doors.
    Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
    Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch.
    While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
    Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
    Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one keyless remote. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
    Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
    Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
    Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation

I also found THIS SITE and it seemed very helpful.

8. Blewzman

Blewzman New Member

I tried the steps listed above and no luck:( so I am off to the bloody dealer. Thank you for all the great tips!!!!

9. tn_snoopy

tn_snoopy New Member

I have tried this several times, along with several variants I have found online, with no luck. The only thing I can figure, is that it means something that my locks cycle immediately after the on/off/on/off, but before I release the unlock button. Does anyone know what this means?
    I'm in a 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4x4 Ext. Cab Short Box, and if it makes a difference, it does have the Driver Information Center in the dash.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    --Glenn.