1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fog lamps

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by PolishSilverado, Jan 6, 2013.

1. PolishSilverado

PolishSilverado New Member

hey i have a 2000 silverado and dont have fog lamps i have connectors where fog lamps should go and i have a fuse in the fuse box but no relay and dont have a switch for them on the dash i dont want to buy the lights to find out it doesnt work what should i do?
  2. Kady

Kady New Member

Its always possible to add it, just depends how much work you want to do.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts

Kady nice new pic... Yes you can add them and it's not too hard.. You can also get a factory switch..
    1 person likes this.
  4. rmck490

rmck490 New Member

I installed the fog lights to my 2000 MY. It didn't come with them. This required a new light switch to include the fog light button, installing a relay, installing a wire harness, and my local dealer to reprogram the BCM to recognize the RPO code (T96).
  5. PolishSilverado

PolishSilverado New Member

ill see i want them but don't want to go through all the hassle of putting the wire harness and going to the dealer
  6. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

It looks like you have aftermarkets already so why not get oem's and wire them like those you have? I would do that because i hate that i have to turn them back on after i cycle the key. Bunch of ways to do it, i would have a 3 position switch and have it wired to the headlight switch and to battery so it would come on whenever the headlights do or anytime you hit the switch.
  7. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

I replaced the factory fogs in my wife's 02 with aftermarket direct replacements. They, too, had lens seperation and have since failed. After a discussion with another member here, she pointed me towards the Hella F55, or 550, which fits in the factory opening, and is a much better light.
    You could take some measurements for the opening, and just match up a better fog light that fits. Wire them to their own switch, or the parking light circuit, and you'll be set.

Good luck, and welcome aboard.
  8. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I would not waste the money on oem fog lights. I had one the was broken, bought a new one thru GM and the light sucks. The beam is terrible, you can hardly tell that they are on. The cheap ones one ebay and amazon are even worse when it comes to the beam pattern and light scatter. I would go with the hella 550's. That is my next upgrade.
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 New Member

I have had luck with ebay oem housings. The two I replaced were the factory originals that either fell apart or got hit by a rock or something. I like keeping them on because I have 6k xenons and the oem fog lights on tell people that they are my low beams not the highs. But most people dont know that the fogs turn off when the highbeams are switched on so they still flash their brights at me and I flash all 4 of my 6k xenons right back...
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I bought one of the ebay oem housings for the passenger side on my 03. The ebay housing threw a terrible pattern compared to the remaining driverside factory housing that was on my truck. The light was scattered everywhere. Maybe I just got a bad one.