1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fog light mod 2013 Silverado

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by JayDawg, Jan 18, 2013.

1. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

Hey all, looking at a 2013 Chevy Silverado crew cab Z71. If I buy it, I would like to mod the fog lights to where they will come on whenever I want them too; not just when the low beams are on. Does anyone know of any links that show how to do this on these trucks?
    Thanks,
    Jay
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I want to say that [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] has posted some info on this. It would be a good sticky as I would like to do someday. I tried searching it but haven't come up with the right search string.
  3. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

darn, I just want to get fog lights first....haha Brian
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There's a how-to on it. I am not the author. It's specifically for NBS trucks, though. It was tried on a NNBS truck and did not work...
  5. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

What is a NBS truck and a NNBS truck?
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

NBS = 03-07 classic. NNBS is 07 new body style thru 2013. not sure what people are gonna call the 2014 trucks.

Alex
  7. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Its still basic electrics, if you know how to wire a relay you can do it but if the dealer catches you with it they will void your warranty because they dont mess around when it comes to electronics in these new computer controlled everything cars. If you want to do it we can figure it out for ya.
  8. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

I definitely want too. I have it done on my Tacoma right now. It was really easy to do and plan on doing it to my wife's Corolla. It just bugs me when you turn the high beams on, they go off. I don't know why all auto companies do that?
  9. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Do you just want them to stay on with the highs or be able to turn them on whenever independant of the head/parking lights brong on? If just the highbeams i think a diode would work just fine but i would have to check.

As for them turning off there are 2 reasons i know of; 1 being they are designed as fog lights for fog and if you turn on your highs in fog you cant see anything so they are not needed, 2 being fogs being on with headlights tell that your lows are on not highs so cops can tell if you are blinding people. The second one is kind of a theory.
  10. JayDawg

JayDawg Member

I think that second theory may be true! I would actually like to be able to turn them on whenever.