Follow up on Idle iissue

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by k9ulan, May 14, 2012.

1. k9ulan

k9ulan New Member

I set the timing to 0 with the timing wire unhooked. Runs great, but, when driven it pngs and detonated terribly, so I have to retard the timing to get it to run ok, but still idles poorly.

2. dogred

dogred Member

What year truck are we talking about? If you have an ecm all you need to do is set it to the proper timing mark on your emissions label and the computer will take over the rest. Have you checked your plugs. The proper gapping is also on your emissions label. You might have a faulty egr or the egr port in the intake is clogged.

3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Don't forget about the knock sensor.

4. k9ulan

k9ulan New Member

sorry, it is an 89 5.7

5. Chris Miller

First, unplug the EGR valve hose and block it off from the throttle body. If there's no improvement, try Seafoming the heck out of it. Also, check your fuel pressure. It should be 12 psi or so. If it's too lean, that could explain the pinging.

6. k9ulan

k9ulan New Member

would the pinging go away with retarded timing if its the fuel pressure..?

7. Chris Miller

Possibly, however unlikely. (I was rather tired when I made that post)
    It could be that your timing chain/gears are worn and jumped time. That would cause your timing to be further advanced than the timing tab indicated. You wouldn't know the difference visually, but the net effect is the same as overadvancing the timing.

8. Sirwriter

Sirwriter New Member

So Chris, in your opinion, if he over retarded the timing would it be a good enough step toward running right to let him look at the timing chain/gears? I know he said he retarded it enough to run but he didn't say how much.