1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Ford Calls Foul On Chevy Super Bowl Ad

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by AMac, Feb 5, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

There was a forum sticky about this ad which had the link to the video, I liked it.
    I saw this article in the local news and thought it was funny. I wonder how Ford felt when they gave Eli a Corvette and not a Mustang.

Ford Calls Foul On Chevy Super Bowl Ad
    Story posted 2012.02.05 at 08:39 PM EST

General Motors ignored a request from Ford Motor Co. and ran a humorous Chevrolet truck ad during the Super Bowl that takes a slap at Ford.
    The ad shows a group of men who have survived an world-destroying apocalypse, as supposedly predicted by an ancient Mayan calendar, because they all owned Chevrolet Silverado trucks. One asks about the fate of a friend.
    "Dave didn't own the longest lasting, most dependable truck on the road," another man tells him. "Dave bought a Ford."
    Ford objects to the implication that the Chevrolet Silverado is "the longest lasting, most dependable truck on the road."
    "What's important is that Ford is proud to be the best-selling truck in America for 35 years, the best-selling vehicle for 30 years and the only brand with more trucks on the road with more than 250,000 miles -- demonstrating just how durable our trucks are in the real world," Ford said in a statement.
    For its part, GM isn't backing down.
    "We stand by our claims in the commercial, that the Silverado is the most dependable, longest lasting full-size pickup on the road," said Joel Ewanick, GM Global Chief Marketing Officer in a statement.
    "In the meantime, people who are really worried about the Mayan calendar coming true should buy a Silverado right away." Ewanick added.

Story posted 2012.02.05 at 08:39 PM EST

© 2004-2012 LSN, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    -

2. 747

747 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Thats awesome. I was just teasing my cousin about his ford today. I hope he saw the commercial lol

3. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I didn't see one single Ford commercial during the Super Bowl. Maybe they feel there isn't a good enough return on the $$$ spent. It is very expensive. Remember the $$ spent by GM "Goverment Motors" is pretty much on the tax payers dime!! Just sayin!!!

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I thought they paid it off before they issued the stock sale. Not certain but I think that was a requirement to offer shares to the public

5. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

The american taxpayers are still on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $13 billion (that's with a "B") for the bailout. There are very few members on this site that will acknowledge it. In my opinion GM should be paying back on this now that they are making a profit. But then again I think that wefare recipients should have to pass a drug test before they get their (bailout check) each month. Sorry to anyone's ruffled feathers but it's just my opinion.

6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This current administration doesn't want them to pay off their debt because they like controlling them. It's their intention to force GM to build cars like the Volt that is a dead dog. The Volt cost taxpayers about $225,000 per unit and GM is selling them for around $45,000. How is a company supposed to be profitable when they are force to produce a something that loses $$$$$. It just doesn't make sense to me.

7. Coach24

Romney will fix that.He will bring all the blueprints for the Rambler and make Gm build them again.

8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Not going to jump into the political debate. I just don't care. On topic of the thread at hand, Ford is just crying sour grapes. Typical case of sometimes the truth hurts. Oh well.
    I showed the video of the commercial to my father in law, and he got a chuckle out of it, and he owns a 2004 350 Super Duty. He's very Ford loyal, but he also respects a decent brand. However if I really want to get him worked up, I just mention Toyota Trucks and he comes unglued. lol

9. Coach24

Aw yes , Toyota the only Truck fully assembled in the USA and delivered in the USA.
    How that happened should be investigated. A crying shame I say. A crying shame:grrrrrr:

10. herrmehr

herrmehr New Member

hi guys im new here and that chevy truck ad was great!! i hope gm digs out of the government hole they made but if they continue to accept subsidies to build the volt and then tell us its what we need and want is ludicrous !!! Doni is right on ! 45k for an half azz electric car is plain crazy ! oh i forgot Obama 10K discount maybe that will sell those duds !