1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ford driver ran over a mattress ... haha

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Jan 16, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I picked up this true but un-validated story on the web and had to pass it along ...

A woman ran over an innerspring mattress on the highway & decided not to worry about it & kept on driving. It caught on the undercarriage of her Ford. The jumble finally whipped around enough to tear a hole in the fuel tank. She had it towed to her Ford dealership & complained that the vehicle had a 'sort of a noise' when she was driving at high speeds. Below are the photos of what they found at her Ford Dealership…

734960_10151179297440216_1531437202_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

... it actually remind me of when I saw someone run over a mattress about 2 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU-4C5CA0S0
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

No way those springs wrapped around that drive shaft like that, probably a Snopes entry on it.
  3. ChevyFan

That's why I added the "un-verified" part to it. Take a look and tell me what you find if you have a few minutes.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i saw this years ago. In the email I received it said that she was driving a tahoe
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I agree that it was most likely a mid to late 90s or 2000s Chevy. The u-bolts holding the axle on have a bracket on them that looks like the Chevy ones and the differential structural webbing looks like the webbing on a 10-bolt axle.

This is the bracket I speak of on my Suburban, though this is a 14-bolt axle:
    [​IMG]

And here's a shot of the support webbing on the GM 10-bolt:
    [​IMG]
  6. ChevyFan

Well, there are two questions here.

1) Is this a legit photo of someone driving over something that got wound up all on the underside of this vehicle.

2) If it's not a Ford, then are we sure what type of vehicle it is?