1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Forum blocked moved to the left side.

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Nov 27, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Thoughts? It's gonna take a bit to get used to, but I'm going to make the whole website wider and actually make the fluid format the standard default layout so there will be more room on the screen before you know it.
  2. marko54

marko54 New Member 100 Posts

At first i thought i minimized my laptops screen till i woke up and saw it on the left. I personally like it on the left, nice update.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I don't care for it. Reasons:

1) If it's open I must read past it (as reading is from left-to-right for us Westerners) in order to get to things I really want to read and/or to which I want to respond.

2) If it's closed then every time a page refreshes when in the top-level forum list I see it go through the following states during the page refresh/load : open, shut. This is very annoying as I'm navigating between forums to read ... as I constantly watch it open and shut itself on refresh ... instead of it staying closed like it should.

In my opinion it should stay completely closed if I close it. It should also be out of the way if open and not something people are forced to peruse. I'd really like the option of putting it where I want it, ESPECIALLY if it's going to be on the left side permanently ... because the two items, above, make the user experience at GMTC less enjoyable for me than it was two days ago...
  4. ChevyFan

There is another option for a different side-column, it's a 3rd party add-in and it will allow for much (or more) of the same information to be shown and also have the ability to disable it per the user account.

I think this content should be on here, but I'm maybe going to move to the fluid design (like 95% of screen-width) instead of the fixed width. Just a thought, actually, I might consider making the change and of course everyone has the ability to choose whichever one works the best for him/her.
  5. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I might be missing something but I don't see any difference.
  6. marko54

marko54 New Member 100 Posts

All the newest forum posts, blogs, pics and ROTM results are on the left of the home screen instead of the right
  7. ChevyFan

8. GMCErica

GMCErica New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I like it steve...nice change!... everyone needs a change sometimes..
  9. ntbush83

ntbush83 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Oh ok I see it now!! Yeah looks good!
  10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The advantage of fixed width for users is it allows them to set their signatures and such up knowing everyone will see it the same. The advantage of variable width sites is, of course, less wasted space -- more information per square inch. Ultimately it's tradeoffs. If your solution lets users choose their own poison that's really ideal ... but I know it's generally harder to implement.