1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Found a Solution for those needing a switched power source

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 09Z71, Jan 2, 2011.

1. 09Z71

09Z71 New Member 100 Posts

I was looking for a switched power source for my remote wire to my amp, something that turns off with the ignition. so i was playing around inside the distribution box beside the brake pedal (everyone with an NBS has it and older models may have it) and finally found a clean, 12v power source. it is an empty plug at the very bottom and center of the distributor box, it should be a 3 or 4 prong plug. first i fed the wire through the right square hole of the plastic distribution box cover. the bottom right prong is the one i tapped to, so i didn't have to tape or solder it, i could just jam the tip of the wire between the plug and the plastic housing. it works great, and switches on when you put the igniton into ACC, and turns off about 15-25 seconds after you pull the key out. the one downside is that if i pull the key out and don't open the door, the radio stays on but the amp will not. i never listen to the radio with the keys out, but it can actually be an upside, because my wife sometimes waits in the truck when i go into a store, and sometimes she changes her mind and takes the keys, and since the drivers door isn't open, the radio stays on, but the amp will not. anyway, hope this helps! i couldn't get a photo of where i put the wire, because i didn't want the wire to accidentally yank out from pulling off the cover.
  2. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

Can't you put a crimp on female bayonet on the wire and push it onto the tab? Keep it from coming loose +/or shorting?
  3. 09Z71

never thought of that, thanks! might consider re-doing it.
  4. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

If it works loose and shorts you could fry your amp...a $0.02 connector is cheap insurance!
  5. 09Z71

i redid it, with a small female bayonet. one with the rubber cover and a tip that can connect to a male prong or plug. had to put it on a 45 or so degree angle because the space around the prong is too small to fit the entire thing. but everything is snug and fits good, and unless tugged extremely hard will not pull out. i zip-tied the wire to some wires under the dash to clean it up, and if it goes to the dealer for anything it is easily accessible and easily un-pluggable.
  6. txfire

txfire New Member

I could be wrong...but if memory serves, that is where the trailer brake plug n play goes. Easy way to find out and also check the fuse size is under the hood in that fuse box, you will find one labeled trailer brake. Pull it out and see if you still have power....