1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Four Wheel Drive Acting Funky

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by daman4469, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

The buttons are known for being junk... Some people recommend cleaning the connections or re-soldering to fix the problem... The part is cheap enough, and simple to install...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hRssZApy8
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you had the trans done last year, I would crawl under the truck and check out the connections around the Tcase. I bought a used 2003 yukon xl that had a trans replaced a year before. One day while driving the service 4 wheel drive message came up. The buttons became useless! I crawled under the truck and found a connector that the trans shop did not put the locking pin back thru. I pulled the connector apart, then pushed it together, put the pin in and the message went away. It never came back.
  3. daman4469

daman4469 New Member

I'll have to check that while im changing fluids. Im not real familiar with the underside, as shes been pretty trouble free. [MENTION=24589]Kady[/MENTION] awesomme link. thats exactly my issue! Curious as to what a shop would charge to change the fluid. Weather here in central pa is COLD and snowy, and I have no garage, so getting this done myself may have to wait a while :)
  4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I have repaired the 4wd select switch. solder joints were not properly done [cold].

with this failure the 4wd light comes on when driving in 2wd normal driving conditions. then on restart is off until some time in the new driving cycle it may come on again.

this is because the PCM is programed to run on board system tests. like the fuel evap system etc.. when this 4wd control system is checked the switch circuits are monitored and if it is incorrect the service 4wd light comes on. or if any other component in the 4wd system is in error.
  5. Kady

Kady Rockstar GMTC Chick 100 Posts

So swapping out the switch helped you too?
  6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

in my experince a bad switch will cause the light to come on. i do not remeber the code in the transfercase date but its there.
  7. j cat

what I did was re solder the joints on the circuit board/switch . very easy with the correct soldering iron.takes about 30 min. most would just replace the switch but are those solder joints good ????

I believe its cost is about 40.oo...

this was done many years ago. that was the only problem I have had with the drivetrain. about 40,ooomi.just out of warrantee.
  8. daman4469

daman4469 New Member

Just as an FYI, I replaced the selector switch and changed my front transfer case fluid. Ran it in the snow for a couple miles with no error. Resolved. Thanks a MILLION!
  9. j cat

the switch even if it appears to work will throw this service 4wd light. this is because the computer does a diagnostic check of this component. if the solder joints are bad even if not in 4wd , the service 4wd light will come on...many have had this occur.. the switch solder joints are a widespread GM defect. soldered in Mexico !