1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Four Wheel Drive Not Engaging

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sparksNMVJC, Nov 27, 2007.

1. sparksNMVJC

sparksNMVJC New Member

I recently bought a 2001 Silverado 2500HD, auto trans, with the manual shift transfer case. Here's the problem..., the front end does not lock in (front wheels receive no power) when shifting into either 4 hi or 4lo. I dropped the skidplate and pulled the four wheel drive actuator out of the housing and it appears to be working. (It extends about an inch or so when the t-case is placed into four wheel drive.) The 4wd indicator on the dash lights up and the actuator looks to be working??? What am I missing?? I spend most of my time on solid axles on Jeeps, and I haven't a clue how the IFS shift on the fly works..., I'm used to the vac operated CAD systems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx.
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Search the forums. There is plenty of info on this issue. You should be able to manually engage the t/c for test purposes. Your actuator is the later style that isn't thermal, and it sounds like it is checking out. Being a jeeper, you may want to convert to the cable operated style anyway.