1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Four Wheel Drive Not Working Whats Wrong???

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by corvetteman, Sep 17, 2010.

1. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Hello all, 1992 – 2500 four wheel drive not working. Occasionally the right (passenger) side will kick in but the left side is not working at all. What should I be looking at? Is there something with the axels inside the transfer case or is there something on the tire side that I need to look at. I’m not exactly sure how the system works??? Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance…
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I would guess it's either an automatic hub not engaging, or a thermal actuator that isn't locking the axle. The hubs would be right at the wheels, and tend to break. The thermal actuator would be dead center on the center diff, but beyond that I don't know too much about it. If it's the hub, switch over to a pair of Warn manual hub lockouts and move on with life.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

On the 92s there isnt a hub to lock in anymore. There is just the thremal actuator on the front Diff.. and i would start there just as Crawdaddy said... Since that is a super common problem with the 4wds in the 1992-1999 Suburban.
  4. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Thanks for the info. I’m going to put it up on jack stands today and see if the axles are actually turning or not.
  5. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Thanks for the help. Turned out to be the actuator. $87 I love an easy fix. LOL!!!
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Murdog is the man. Not to take away from the other guys on here who know their stuff, Crawdaddy included.