Frame on 1990 1500

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by planoskip, Mar 7, 2006.

1. planoskip

planoskip New Member

I have a "90 4x4 with 245k and would like to make improvements, larger tires and wheels but, I've heard that the frames are weak on the 1500s. I'm usually in snow when I go north in the winter or mud about any time.
    I don't plan on doing any rock crawling. Would I be wasting time and money on this one, and should I go find a 3/4 ton and start there?

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have an old '86 2 wheel drive with 300k+ and lots body rot but the frame is fine and we are living in Maine now, all though we did have it in Tenn. for 5 years before moving back here to maine.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a 1500, can't help you there. I would be surprised to hear that there was a weak frame for any year of the burban, but I could be wrong...

4. jack77

jack77 Member

the weak spot on the 73 thru 91 trucks, blazers and suburbans is righht between the steering box mounting bolts. larger tires creat more resistance on the road, thus putting alot of extra stress on the frame where the steering box mounts. if you are using 33' or smaller tires you should not have too much trouble if the frame is solid. any bigger tires will give you a problem. there are several manufacturers that sell a brace to strengthen that area before it breaks. if it is already broken they also sell a kit to repair and strengthen it. the frame on the 1/2 thru 1 ton is not any different in that area, so moving up to a 3/4 ton will not prevent the breaking. GM platform builds everything they can to cut down on production costs and the frames are one of those areas where they can get away using the same part across the board.

5. ChevyFan

Hmm, my tires are smaller than 33" so I'm safe I suppose. Is this a well known issue?

6. planoskip

planoskip New Member

Thanks jack77, I'll buy the bracket, I'd like to go up to 35s and lower the gearing.

7. ChevyFan

Keep us up to date on that project. BTW, are you in the city of Plano, Texas, or is that just a name?

8. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I was going to ask the same thing, but he mentioned snow and mud and there hasn't been any of either around here lately. :lol:

9. planoskip

planoskip New Member

I'm in Plano, the mud and snow I manage to get in is in north east Kansas. Wife's mother is there and a couple fishing buddys of mine. Usually some snow on the ground around Christmas but, nothing a 4X4 suburban can't handle.

10. ChevyFan

Well, I grew up in the Northwest, I can live with no snow down here and having to drive to get into it. I like to head west to New Mexico though.