1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frame Repainting

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Conlan Rose, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

I really don't care about if it shines I was using the clear coat to further protect the frame and paint. Currently I have a B&D rotary tool, 4 1/2 inch Ryobi grinder, a sander, multi tool sander and drill mountable wire brushes. I will need more sanding pads and brushes and now knowing about the poly ones I'll check them out so I can have both metal and poly.

@Surreal I follow the directions on the cans which say exactly what you did but I wait closer to 30-40 mins because I make my coats a little heavy. The longest part will be the removal of rust and components because the sanding take a while but I will have friends helping me out so we have multiple tools going at the same time.

Question can the axle and suspension be painted as is or is there other prep I will need.(Besides the obvious of taping off/covering components I don't want painted.)
  2. Conlan Rose

Also while I do this work I will likely do some suspension work as well, where can I get new front and rear suspension stops because mine are rotted out.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think that autoanything has them.
  4. Conlan Rose

I'm surprised they cost so much and look nothing like the factory ones. LMC has the rears for 10 each side. Where else might I find them... Amazon has nothing.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I buy 99% of my stuff now through Rockauto, but pay attention to the shipping costs after you add it too the cart.
  6. Conlan Rose

I can't find them there.... its really hard to find them anywhere because its a rare part.