Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frame rust

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ThePOPE490, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ThePOPE490

ThePOPE490 New Member

So my frame is rusted pretty badly so i was going to sand it down and then paint it with some type of undercoating or rustolium, do you guys have any suggestions on types of paints/undercoating i sould use.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

POR15 or Rust Bullet
  3. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

are you doing the whole frame? i want to do mine too but i dont know how to get to everything. how are you doing it?
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I 2nd that
  5. ThePOPE490

ThePOPE490 New Member

im going to do as much as possible, im just gonna crawl under my truck and sand all of it down and get the big stuff off and then get a piece of cardboard and hold it up to the under side of the body so i dont get overspray on it...and thanks guys for the info...what is POR15 by the way? where could i find it
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Both are rust-treating paints. You probably won't be able to find either local, but they are easily available on the net. You typically buy both by the gallon. Both can be applied using either a spray gun or by rolling/brushing them on..
  7. ThePOPE490

ThePOPE490 New Member

would you know the prices on it? how many gallons would i need for most of the frame? any special prep work involved?
  8. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

also I know rustoleum and duplicolor both make and undercoating spray paint that are both very high quality. may help you save time and money and still give you that quality look.
  9. ThePOPE490

ThePOPE490 New Member

ive heard some bad stories about undercoating with the frame continuing to rust underneath of the paint after its all finished, but i dont know if thats true or not
  10. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Its about 50 bucks a quart but if you're only doing the frame rails you probably wouldn't even use one quart to do them both. I did the complete underside of a camaro and the entire gas tank with just a little over one quart. You do need to scrape it down to bare metal (or bare rust) first and then use their metal prep product along with rinsing it in between steps.