1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frame Work

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Metaluzc, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

This is basically a shot in the dark without getting price quotes from auto body shops, but can anyone give me a ballpark estimate on the cost of having the body taken off the frame and having the entire frame undercoated? Living here in Pa. my frame, control arms, towing hitch, etc. all have major surface rust and is an eyesore. I was thinking of rhino lining everything but have heard the better way to go would be products such as POR 15 or Rust Bullet. I want everything coated; frame, axles, the control arms, shocks, running boards, etc. I was thinking of the "full restoration" route and also have the body freshly painted but I feel that on a HD truck I'd be looking upwards of $7000 for everything to be done.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think you'd be looking at in the neighborhood of $3500 plus, your talking about a lot of man hours to remove and replace the cab and front fenders, the bed wouldnt be much work at all.
    Have you looked at or talked to the shops that do undercoating?
    They use low profile sprat tips on wands that can get up into all the hidden cracks and crevices beneath your truck.
    I think if you talked to a few shops they would be able to talk you into leaving the body on and spraying.
    Unless this is a show truck theres no reason to remove the body for this type service.
  3. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Definitely not a show truck, but the rust takes away from the aesthetics of an otherwise nice looking truck. And I never knew you could do that without having to take off the body, thanks for the information, I appreciate the advice. Do most places take care of the rust also or do they just spray over top of the rust? I don't want them to just put the undercoating on over the rust. In my eyes, keeping the rust under the undercoating would would defeat the purpose of having the work done in the first place.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Corrosion work depends on the shop, they will prep the undercarriage and clean-up surface corrsion usually but any corrosion thats penetrated will cost extra and they may recommend you take it elsewhere to be repaired prior to the undercoating.
    You'll have to shop around and see what their offering locally.
    Leaving corrosion underneath would defeat the purpose of the coating and the rust wouldnt stop growing.