1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Freshwater or Saltwater Fishing?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Jan 19, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I've done both and of course it takes a lot more to gear up for saltwater fishing. What does everyone prefer?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Never been salt water, just fresh. but i prefer walley, and trout the most.
  3. troutbug

troutbug New Member 100 Posts

I enjoy both, but I must say lately I really have been missing the simplicity of wading a small stream and flyfishing for rainbows & browns, or smallmouth. It's nice to not have to worry about tides, Gulf winds, fish migration, fueling the boat, fueling the truck, etc...

However, hooking into a nice red or hauling in specks one after the other sure can make one's day! :glasses:
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Brook Trout are actually my favorite fish to catch, and eat. I spend ALOT of my summer fishing for them as well..
  5. Rickey

Rickey New Member

I prefer fresh water fishing myself! Especially trout fishing.

---------- Post added at 08:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Out where I live, there's brown trout and rainbows. Back in the midwest where I was raised, I used to fish for brook trout. I miss those little buggers!

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 AM ----------

A BIG 10/4 on that! I agree!
  6. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I do a lot more saltwater than fresh, but that comes with growing up at the ocean. The father in-law has a fishing boat and we go out a few miles and try our luck. We are not professionals, but really enjoy the fight of an Albacore or Red Drum!
  7. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

When I was a kid living in Spokane, WA - all we did was fresh water fishing, and we even got into fly fishing (backpack-in, camp and fish style) for a couple of years. But I also remember going out to Seattle / Bremerton and visiting my grandfather and going out fishing with them in Puget Sound. The fish we caught were so huge i couldn't believe it! Must have been 3 lbs Sockeye salmon we pulled into the boat.

Being in DFW now ... it's freshwater at one of the lakes here. I've been looking at boats the last couple of years, will have to figure out a good new crop of places that I can get the kids up to go this year.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I prefer Saltwater fishing, but I enjoy freshwater too.
    Theres lots of great local lakes to fish around DFW, my favorite is Possum Kingdom but Lake Whitney is a close second.
    Joe Pool is ok if you dont feel like driving far.
    Benbrook is always windy even in the summer.
    Granbury is nice but theres a lot of weeds that keep you cleaning out the intakes and cutting the prop clear.
    I wouldnt keep anything I caught in Lake Worth, if you could catch anything. I was stationed there and I know what the Air Force and Navy let get loose in the lake.
    Eagle Mountain is great during the week but to many idiots on the weekends.
    Same thing with Lake Lewisville, Grapevine, Ray Hubbard, and Ray Roberts.
    Lake Weatherford, Lake Arlington, and Mineral Wells lake are nice quiet spots where you can fish with the kids without to many idiots bothering you.
  9. Slim-pickins

Slim-pickins New Member

I started freshwater fishing since I was born and raised in Indy. I have lived onthe west coast of Florida for 13 years and just started salt water fishing 2 years ago and I like it much better. One reason, we tend to go catching not just fishing. Up north I remeber fishing all day and pulling up 2 or 3 small Bluegill or Crappie. Down here with a simple rod with a sinker and hook and a bucket of shrimp you can pull upo Gray Snapper(aka Grunts) until your arms are tired and your bait is gone. Go out a little ways(2-5 mile in the Gulf) in the spring through fall and you can catch 5-10lbs fish of different varities almost every single trip. It is easy fishing and I use very little equipment or tackle but boats do burn a lot of gas but someone has to keep the Arabs rich!!!:)
  10. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 New Member 100 Posts

I haven't been saltwater in a few years, Mostly freshwater.