1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Friend has a Ford and needs help.

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by Mean_Green_95, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My friend has a 97 Ford F-150 ecsb with the v-6 and auto trans.

The problem is when he shifts gears, D>R, P>R, P>D, etc, sometimes his truck dies. It only happens every now and then, but he said today it happened twice and he's getting worried bc he drives to NOLA everyday to go to work. I'm just looking for a little info about possible causes before I get my hands on the truck this weekend.

Any help with this thing would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

My advice would be for him to find a Chevy dealer! LOL I'll take a stab at it, there has to be feed back from the Tranny to the ECM - switch? It is not much I admit but what the hell? Its a Ford; you don't have much in the first place.
  3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like the Throttle Position sensor may be fried or else the IAC isnt opening properly. To be honest the Ford and Chevy share a very similar relationship in how the electronics and sensors work. If the IAC isnt doing its thing and the computer is reading no throttle input then the motor will choke off and stall.
  4. Mean_Green_95

Thanks for the replies guys. I was at work this morning when he called me and said his truck blew up. So IDK what he meant by that, but he did say he was at the Nissan dealership trading it in. I'll keep you guys posted with what I find out.
  5. Caddiac

He should have gone to a Chevy Dealer. Either way, he is getting rid of a Ford.
  6. Mean_Green_95

He's trying to get rid of the Ford just to get another Ford. He's currently trying to get a brand new Ranger.
  7. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

its a 97. so it has obd2. first thing before you start back yard wrenching on it is take it to autozone for a free code read. get a chiltons. look up the codes if there are any and fix them by the book. sometimes the book doesnt make it clear as to wait it is, for example: pip circuit failure= crank position sensor, i do know alot about fords. if you want to pm me with the codes ill do the translations for you. once all codes are corrected and if the problem is not gone then there are just a few things left to look at. you must get the coded faults fixed first.
  8. Mean_Green_95

Its too late/ He traded it in on a Ranger.
  9. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Rockstar 100 Posts

sweet, i have 2 police interceptors engines sitting here if he wants one :)
  10. Caddiac

You just can't fix St...., oops. Sorry this is a fiend of yours. :happy:

Its a 97 and its a Ford. First thing is you get a large caliber hand gun and a spare magazine. Make sure both are fully loaded.......:shocked: