1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

From Ford to Chev.....

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by JBrobeck, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JBrobeck

JBrobeck New Member

Just thought I'd introduce myselfe, I am from Minnesota and just picked up a new (to me) Silverado. I got 150,000 trouble free miles out of my 2001 F150 supercrew lariat, GREAT truck BTW. However the miles were getting me a bit nervous, I still owed a fair amount of money on it so I decided to see what I could get for a trade and see what I could find to replace it. I was unable to find a lower mileage replacement for it in the same body style, and I don't really care for the new F150's (unless they are completely loaded lariats, and I did'nt want that payment.).
    Since I am not a brand loyalist, I went over to the dark side:neutral: and started looking at the Chevy's. I have always liked the extended cab silverado's, they have way more cab room than the extended cab F150's so I didn't need the crew cab like I did in the Ford (although if it would have fit in my garage I would have gotten the crew cab silverado) I found a perfect '03 silverado Extended cab, with 45,000mile on it, two toned Charcoal and silver Z71 LS. This thing is in mint condition!! My uncle is the manager of a local Chev dealership (always loved driving my Ford to family events as ALL my family on that side drives Chevy's). He gave me as fair a price as he could on my trade and I got a screamin deal on the silverado.

I must say, it is nice to be away from the 5.5' box and the fact that the supercrew box was not square on the Ford (it narrows at the back)and no stake pockets. Now I can get some of the accessories that were not available on the ford, namely a nice removable ladder rack. I miss the Ride height of my Ford, it sure sat up nice and tall, and it rode more like a truck. The silverado is a little low for my liking and the suspension is a bit mushy, especially for a Z71 ?!? but it sure rides nice. The interior is more car like (a good thing) in the silverado with more creature comforts, however I miss the nice soft leather of my Ford. I must say that the cloth interior of the Chev is higher quality than the Ford.

All in all I feel I made a great purchase and I expect this truck to last me a good long time. Some improvements I will be looking to do in the future will be a lift kit and tires/wheels, a nice mellow cat back, front window tint. I look forward to learning as much as I can about these trucks.
  2. jmonte3

jmonte3 Rockstar 100 Posts

good to see u made the switch...i had an 99' f150 4X4 with a 3" body lift before i got my nbs 07 gmc sierra...there is no comparison...i love my Z71... super smooth ride and more power under the hood... dont get me wrong my f150 was a nice truck and i wouldn't stray from getting another maybe down the line
  3. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the forum and welcome to GM! I owned a Ford before I bought my truck in March of this year. I have been extremely pleased with it! Post some pics of your truck when you get a chance!
  4. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site :sign0016:
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site!
  6. RAPTOR_660

RAPTOR_660 Rockstar

:sign0016:

Theres alot of helpful people on here to answer any questions you may have
  7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I gotta say I'm a die hard Chevy man and i'm glad you discovered a real mans truck
  8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome! My last truck was a '02 Super Crew which I put about 150,000 miles on. There were a lot of things I liked about the 'screw, but I have 108,000 miles and wouldn't go back!
  9. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What motor does the new truck have in it? My boss had an F350 with the 5.4 in it and it was an absolute dog.
  10. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

congrats on the change and welcome to the club!