1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

from stock to lifted

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by 1500chevy4x4, Jul 15, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. 1500chevy4x4

1500chevy4x4 New Member

Hello i have a 2003 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 all stock
    i wanted to put on a 6 inch lift with 33 in tires if i put all that on would there be anything else i would have to do so that my truck could handle all that? like differential or axles? or what about gears?
    thanks a lot!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You'll want a programmer to compensate for the speedo error you introduce with the larger diameter tires. You'll want to beef up the brakes because bigger diameter tires translate to fewer revolutions across a given distance than smaller ones, which results in less opportunity for your brakes to do their jobs in that distance. (i.e. Beef up your brakes, increase following distance, or both!)

You might consider regearing (both front and rear diffs; you have to do both if you regear since you have a 4x4) to handle the bigger, heavier tires -- because depending on your current gear ratio the truck may feel like a dog off the line ... and may well downshift on mild inclines at highway speed (where it doesnt, today). You'll need a tuner that can tell the truck you have different gear ratios if you choose to regear ... else you'll have idiot lights on.

And last, a custom tune -- to recover some of the mpg you'll lose due to the mods you're making.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Everything that man ^ said is true.

4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would agree with what [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] said. The thing I would suggest is to either go with a 4" lift for the 33's or go with 35's if you get the 6". I say that because for me the 33's will look small with the 6" lift. just my 2 cent.

5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I tend to agree with [MENTION=40941]aloxdaddy99[/MENTION] on the sizing; 33's w/ 4" or 35's with 6" is about spot-on in terms of them looking 'proper'.

6. rileyjr16

Ok now I agree with them two ^ ^^

7. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

exactly what the 2 above said is the best thing to do, i definitely agree with the 6" and 35s or 4" and 33s, it gives it the proportional look instead of the "cencal" look. but this is just my opinion tho as well.

8. rileyjr16

Holy hell you're back. Good to hear from ya. Not to hijack but how's Afghan?

9. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

yea i been busy here, didnt have a whole lot of time to get on when i first got here.. afghan is alright, every ****ty thing i thought it would be lol.

10. 1500chevy4x4

1500chevy4x4 New Member

if i put 35's on would i have to do anything else because of the extra tire wait or just stick to what [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] said