1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front A/C problem [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by stingray454, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stingray454

stingray454 New Member

I have a '99 K2500 Suburban with 150k. It has the rear seat heat and A/C option, which works great. However, it has a strange problem with the front A/C - the front A/C only blows cool air when the rear A/C is turned on. The rear A/C always blows nice cold air whenever it is turned on. But the front A/C basically doesn't get cold hardly at all if the rear A/C is turned off, but it does get cooler when I turn the rear A/C on.

I'm not sure what would cause this, as the front and rear A/C have separate evaporators. I was thinking maybe the front evaporator may be dirty, but that wouldn't explain why it gets cooler when the rear A/C is turned on, since the rear has its own evaporator in the back. Does the front and rear A/C have separate freon circuits, or are they on the same loop? If they have separate circuits, maybe the front is low on freon. But if they are on the same circuit, I would have no idea why the front blows warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Yup the front AC needs charging. :mrgreen:
  3. stingray454

stingray454 New Member

Charging fixed it :) After the charge (one can of R134a), the rear A/C stayed the same, nice and cold, and the front A/C got much colder. It's nice and frosty now. The system was about 10 psi low according to the low side gauge that came with the recharge kit. It's almost like when the system is low on freon, most of the freon stays to the rear A/C circuit, and avoids the front circuit. Path of least resistance maybe?
  4. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When did they switch from R12 to R134 on the AC?

Anybody know when the switch to R134 was from the factory? I've got a 93 burb and how can I tell if it uses R12 or R134 refridgerant?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.