1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Axle Seals Leaking

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rs6er, May 8, 2009.

1. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

So my stealer tells me that my front axle seals are leaking and need to be replaced. Says will cost around $800. Is this something I can do myself. Could it be done more economicaaly by an indie mechanic?

John
    2001 Suburban 1500 4WD.
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

left side very easy unbolt the cv axle form the diff take a hammer and hit the plate where the axle bolts to don't be gentle with it hit it hard if you try to tap it out you will wreck the snap ring and it could get stuck in the diff then you have a problem on your hands.

the right side is a little more difficult involves taking the axle housing off ill be doing a wright up when i do mine
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know I have a very slight leak on my right side and the shop I take my truck too said they wouldnt touch it being that they have to take the axle out and what not and getting all the spacing back in the correct position would be too much liabilty that they dont want, so I am sure that there isnt much differnce in a 99 ukp to 07 classic as far as the IFS and front axles so this could greatly help me!!
  4. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

WOW! $800!? I just had my suburban at the dealership about 2 weeks ago for my front axle seals as well and they only charged me $400 roughly. I'd check that price...that sounds really high compared to my dealership here in colorado that is really honest. then again yours is a 2001, so maybe they changed a few things and its quite a bit more complicated?
  5. rs6er

rs6er Rockstar

Well I'm 20 miles from NYC.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

$400, how much are you getting charged per hour for labor?! I know my local dealership is around 115 an hour!
  7. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

My father and I have taken the R side axle shaft housing 4 times now, twice in the suburban and twice in the silverado. It is really easy after doing it so many times. If you decide to do this, I do recommend buying the dealer seals (around $20 each), as the cheap autozone/napa seals leaked immediately after installation, on both trucks. As for the driver side, I took it to a local garage, and they charged $200. Wouldn't tell me how they got the axle shaft out, though. Upon further review, they appeared to have driven a wedge between the flange and the front diff to pop it out...

The R side took about an hour and a half to complete, but that was with a car lift...
  8. willbradfan

willbradfan Rockstar 100 Posts

WOW!!! The last time i checked with the dealership here it was $85/hr..
  9. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

yeah I agree, $800.00 is kinda high. you need to see if there is someone at that dealership that does work on the side away from there, that's who does the work on my vehicles and I still pay but i don't pay dealer prices that way either, he gets a good cut still but just for example my wife's transmission in her suburban needed to be rebuilt. all the local shops wanted $1,200.00 to $1,400.00 to rebuild the transmission and My guy repaired it for $500.00 with allnew GM parts and a brand new torque converter. I had to pull it and put it back in but the thing runs like a top still and it's been almost a year now. Most rebuilds you might get 6 months to a year out of them if you are lucky. this fella did a hell of a job.