1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front brake vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by macs98burb, May 26, 2007.

1. macs98burb

macs98burb New Member

Yes, I am sure you have heard this one before. 140,000 miles, turn the rotors regularly, torque the lug nuts...but can't get rid of the brake vibration. Any suggestions?

I have considered aftermarket rotors and pads - Power Slots???
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That won't really do much for the vibration IMO. You might want to check bushings in the front end. You might have some that are worn out, or gone.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Unless you pay for real expensive aftermarket rotors (something like Brembos) you probably wont solve the problem and may make more problems. Most aftermarket rotors are more prone to warping than OEM.
    If the rotors have been turned and measure in specs try looking at the brake pads, sometimes brand or type can cause this problem.
    Check the tie rod ends.
    Bushings as already mentioned.
    Front hub bearing condition.
    Worn shocks have been known to cause issues like this.
    And I've recently seen one case of brake vibration caused by a defective front brake hose.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't rule out the rear brakes misleading you...
    So you torque your wheels on instead of blasting them on with an air gun. Good for you. I do too. Nothing can ruin a good brake job faster than blasting the wheels back on at about 200ft/lbs...LOL
  5. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What only 200?

I took our old horse trailer in for new tires, and the n00b who put the new ones on broke five lugs(2 on one tire, 1 an another, and 2 on another-tandem axle trailer), because he didn't change the setting on his gun.
    Or whatever dumba$$ reason he had. You'd think after the first one broke he might have dialed it down some, but not this guy.
  6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i also have brake vibration in the front. Its only when im slowing from 50+ that i really feel it. I think its warped rotors though
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think everyone has covered all of the real world reasons for your vibration problem.

I am just throwing this out because no one else has.

Are you sure it’s not the anti lock braking system kicking in?
  8. flyboy

flyboy New Member

vibration

92-99 Burbs have a TSB regarding replacment of the brake proportioning valve. It seems the same valve that is used in pickup doesn't accomodate the extrarear end weight of the Sub. The new valve puts more pressure to the rear wheels and prevents the fronts from overheating thus eliminating the worping of the rotors and the vibration when you get on them. This also helps the famous poor brake wear they are famous for. See Mighty Auto parts TSB June 99 for more details article tittled gimme a brake.

all I know
    Flyboy
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

LOL! What did he have to say about that overall? I hope they tapped them out and put new studs in for you, hopefully they matched up too.
  10. Brian's 97

Brian's 97 New Member

I'm having same vibration

I did not know about TSB. My 97 burb 1/2 ton is having vibration issues in front also when brakes are applied. going to replace rotors first. previous owner obviously did'nt check regulary rotors in bad shape. Any suggestions on after market? went to JC whitney decent rotors? Or should I stick OEM?