1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Bumper - Chrome to Black!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Al Stefanelli, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Al Stefanelli

Al Stefanelli Member

Sorry about the crappy pics. My digital camera is busted and all I got is my celly... Here's my project I did today, after I "installed" my new wheel covers. LOL...

[​IMG]
  2. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Looks real good to me!
  3. Al Stefanelli

Al Stefanelli Member

Thanks! My wife asked me "What are you gonna do next?" I asked her if she really wanted me to answer that. She just smiled...
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What did you do to prep the bumper so the paint would stick to the chrome?
  5. Al Stefanelli

Al Stefanelli Member

Dry sanded it with medium weight to get rid of the dead things. Wet sanded it with a higher weight emery cloth. Cleaned it with alcohol to remove any hidden dirt. Cleaned it again with soap and water to remove any alcohol. Applied three coats of Automobile Primer. Applied four coats of black lacquer. Right now it is curing. In a few days I will check the finish and if it looks good, I will compound it, wax it and seal it.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The black bumper looks good. Reminds me of the time when all trucks had painted bumpers. Remember when a truck was a truck, had rubber mats and no chrome? LOL
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Agreed the bumper looks wicked shahp!

When I graduated from HS, I was a Four Wheeler Magazine aholic. GM ran an ad with a birds eye view of an ext cab int. All decked out with captains chairs, carpet, the works for the day.

Caption - "Remember when "This thing rides like a truck" was bad"

I do like my leather captains chairs and power windows though, LOL
  8. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Looks good! I am wanting to do the same to my chrome bumper.
  9. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

really brings the whole truck together. its like the missing piece of the puzzle. thats how my truck was when i removed the old dry rotted side moldings. great job
  10. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

came out clean. :)