1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Front bumper cooling hole

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Phooey, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Phooey

Phooey New Member

My 2007 has a solid chrome bumper. I thought it was a 2WD thing to have this, but i have since seen two 4WDs with solid bumpers. Is it an '07 thing, GM discovered they needed more cooling, or maybe an option? I see no evidence of a bumper option on my build sheet other than chrome, and it has a trans cooler.

Just wondering.

2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I think they started using that bumper in 2009, the same time the 6 speed tranny became standard. Just a guess, but I always figured it was just to get more air over the tranny cooler. FYI, my '08 has the solid bumper and 4 speed also. Maybe someone else knows the true reason...

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know on earlier model GM's the bumpers with holes were for additional cooling if the truck was a Diesel, havent really checked to see if that holds true for newer model trucks.

4. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My '08 4 speed has a solid chrome bumper also...my father's 2009 and my buddy's 2010 have the slot and both are 6 speed. Wonder if the trans does have something to do with it??

5. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Alston,i never noticed that you do not have the slots on your bumper.I have the slots on my 09(i know because thats where i hide my block heater cord when i'm not using it)I have a 4 speed also,so i think they just changed it for style reasons.

6. troutbug

Bib B, so you're saying you have the '09 with a 4 speed? All the 09's I've seen were with the 6 speed tranny. I wonder if it was an option, or did they just switch over in the middle of the production year? Maybe there is a 2009, and a 2009 & 1/2 ?? :sarcastic:

7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I'm not sure,i know that my truck was built on Aug.20th/09.I have a 4.8 engine so i always thought that the 4.8s came with a 4 speed tranny.I kind of like the fact that i have a 4.8 with the 4 speed tranny as it sounds that my truck is a rarity compared to what i'm hearing on here.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  8. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah, that is kind of a rarity combo you got there BigB. I guess that bust the whole 4speed solid bumper idea....

9. troutbug

Well, not necessarily. If they started introducing the 6L80 in Silverados in 2009, and this was the reason for the cooling hole in the bumper, they would probably still use that bumper no matter what other tranny they offered at the same time since it would be cheaper for them to just produce one style. This all still depends on if this is the reason for the hole. Somebody around here ought to know. Maybe Big B was right...it might be a 4.8L thing.

10. IanF

IanF Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2010 4.8L it also has the holes and the 4 speed tranny. Thye all have the holes now and the 4.8L only comes with the 4 speed at least in Ontario. The 5.3L and up have the 6 speed though.