1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front defroster does not work

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by crashone, Feb 11, 2011.

1. crashone

crashone New Member

Good Afternoon,
    I have a 1989 Z-71 whose defroster does not work. I get plenty of heat and full force fan from the center vents but not the top defroster vents. I changed the switch on the front of the "box" that controls an internal flap. I have the dash semi dismantaled but I do not see any other switches that may be the culprit. Can someone offer what else to check or what the real culprit may be?
    Thank you for the help.
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Hey Crashone, welcome to the GM Truck club. I don't know if I can give you a solid answer on this, but is the switch actually moving the flap now? If the switch is working & you can see that it is moving the lever, maybe the lever is not connected firmly to the flap. Can you look in there with a mirror & a flashlight & see why the flap is not moving?
  3. crashone

crashone New Member

Thanks for the reply. I can move the flap by hand but can't tell if the switch is moving it or not. I found a site with an exploded view of the system and it shows 2 switches (actuators) for the different flaps. I'll have to check later and see if I can see another one.
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

When you move that flap by hand, does the air change to the defroster vents? If so then you know that is the correct flap & not the other one. If it is the correct flap then the switch is not connected to the lever for some reason, or the lever may have broken off the flap.
  5. inspectormatt

inspectormatt Member

Could be a problem with the control head itself. The motor down by the gas pedel is the one that controls where the air flows (panel vent, defrost vent, heat vent), you can remove the motor and move the linkage by hand to see if the flap inside is or is not working. By moving the linkage by hand it should change the flow of air from defrostor to heat to panel vents. If replacing that motor does not correct the problem then it may be the control head itself.
  6. COLIN DE

COLIN DE Former Member

Some makes and models do have heated windshields, not many, but some do. They do not have the wires like the rear window, and if they are cracked or broken they cost alot to replace, the technology is just not there yet to make it cost effectiv.

mac0611 New Member

go under the hood and check the vacuum lines at the cowl that come out of the vacuum amplifier. They rot and break common problem
  8. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

check and see if you can hear the flap closing when you switch it.

I had the same problem with my my 89 a couple years ago,because it had sat for a while before I had bought it. It wouldn't switch to heater, just defrost...I finally ended beating the "box" with my hand while I operated the switch...whatever had caused it to stick freed it up and I haven't had an issue again....
  9. eaglescout89

eaglescout89 New Member

Does it actually heat up? Or is it luke warm. My vents stick from time to time, but it does switch.