1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front diff problems....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bobby70ny, Dec 20, 2008.

1. bobby70ny

bobby70ny New Member

New to this site. I have a problem with my front differential.....began when i changed my tires from stock to larger rims and tires with a different offset. Is it possible that this is the cause for my front differential going? I drive a 99 Suburban.
  2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

So what is the problem your having?
  3. bobby70ny

bobby70ny New Member

Problem is grinding constantly, i've changed the fluid already and there was metal in the fluid....I'm really wondering if the new tires/rims caused this.... thanks for any input.
  4. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Any possibility the 4WD is engaged and/or has not disengaged from a previous 4wd trip/excursion?
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

How much bigger are the tires (overall diameter)? Can I assume a half-ton Suburban? The 8.25 IFS in the half ton suburbans is a pretty weak differential, and really big tires could cause problems. Of course, I've heard of several people who have trouble with that diff with stock tires, too.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Probably not the cause, usually larger tires will cause diff gears and pinions to chunk into pieces. This sounds like the bearings are going or the gears arent riding right and flaking off. About like normal wear for high mileage.
  7. bobby70ny

bobby70ny New Member

Thanks, i'm getting everything changed tommorrow, trucks in great shape otherwise....just wasn't sure if I should consider changing the rims/tires again.....