1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Diff Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Boonduff, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

This morning I noticed drops of gear oil on the driveway. Climbed underneath, and saw several small hairline cracks in my front diff housing. My neighbor has a 1996 K2500 Suburban with a 5.7L sitting in his backyard. It has the same 3.73s as my Suburban. I know 1ton trucks use a bigger 9.2in ring gear, but will the 3/4 ton Suburban front diff swap in place of my damaged one? FYI, mine is a 1997 K1500 with a 5.7L.
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Front diff should be the same.... It's usually just the rear axle that's a different size...
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Actually, Joeairforce, the front diff on a 2500 is a 9.25, where the 1500 use an 8.25 inch front diff.

Most discussions I've seen on this question suggest that there isn't quite enough room under the 1500 for the 9.25 inch front end.
  4. Joeairforce

Joeairforce Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Learn somethin new every day.... :great:
  5. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Are you sure that it is cracked? My 95 has looked like that since it was new. It never leaks. I assumed that it was from the casting process.
  6. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Make some measurements of the casings & measure where they mount up. Clean yours up & see where its leaking from, Pikey is right!
  7. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did have a leak one time. It was where the case comes together. I pulled it, split it, and sealed it. All is good.
  8. Boonduff

Thanks for the replies, but its diffently cracked. So it's off to the junkyard I go.
  9. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Did you measure them to see if it will work?
  10. Boonduff

Not yet. I'm gonna go to my local Pick-A-Part this weekend, gonna do my measuring there. I wanna see if the K2500 Subs that had the smaller 14 bolt rearend used the same front diff as the ones with the FF 14 bolt. I'll let you know what I find.