1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front differential leaking!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by fierodough, Jun 26, 2007.

1. fierodough

fierodough Member

Hey guys!

I have a 98 Burb, K1500. Fron diff is leaking from what appears to be the front driver's side.

Quoted 4 hours labour and $30 for a seal.

Can't afford the down time or the bill at the moment. I assume the diff is dry as I'm getting a groaning noise from the front. (even with 4x4 off)

First off, any tips to do this myself??

Second, to keep from killing the diff, can I top off more gear oil from the breather tube?? Getting under there to add oil every time can be a pain!

Thanks!
    Eric
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd get gear oil into the diff ASAP. I don't know if dumping it in the breather hole would be a good idea or not. I'd just pull the fill plug and fill it that way. That way you can also keep track of the exact level of the oil in the diff. The seal will probably take you an hour or two to replace, it only took like 30-45 mins per seal for my rear axle, but I didnt have to bother with CV shafts and the like either.
  3. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you might have bigger issues if the front is making noise now. the vent is a small line and i would use the fill plug. you might be lucky and have a small leak and it might take a few days to drain enough to need refilling, but if you do nothing you might need to spend way more than the down time now. again you might have destroyed the front gears already----no telling how long it went with out oil. they do not normally make noise without being starved fr oil for a long time....mike