1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Differential Question????

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 1984chevy, Jun 2, 2008.

Random Gallery Photos

1. 1984chevy

1984chevy New Member

I have a 1999 1500 Gmc sierra classic and I want to know what size the differential is in the front because I want to get a locker for it.
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Assuming your 1500 is a gasoline engine, you will almost certainly have a GM 8.25 inch IFS. To my knowledge, nobody makes a locker or limited slip for this differential. I'm afraid you, like me, are SOL until we figure out how to put a 9.25 IFS under there or a solid axle.
  3. 1984chevy

1984chevy New Member

well can you put a Mini Spool in the front so it says locked all the time or will that mess up the diff
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can do anything you want. To my knowledge, you won't find an aftermarket mini-spool to install, which would leave you with the option of welding up the spider gears.

Remember that there are no hubs to unlock, so the axles and differential are always spinning, even in 2H. If you were to weld it up, you'd have issues with the steering all the time.

But the real problem is that the 8.25 IFS is too weak to handle anything except an open diff (and there are some who don't think it is strong enough even then). I'm not sure what the weak link is -- probably axleshafts and/or the case, so you can weld it, but then you'll be spending your time on the trail breaking stuff. The point is that there are no good traction aid options for the 8.25 IFS.
  5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

never weld the front diff unless it is a true off road rig like a rock crawler. u may be out of luck on this one because as shorty said the front IFS is pretty weak and is not meant to be wheeled hard. CV shafts are pretty weak and will break even with just 35s under decently hard off road driving. a mini spool up fornt will do the same and it will be very annoying to drive on road with the front permanently locked. i say dont even lock the front and put a good locker in the rear
  6. 1984chevy

1984chevy New Member

I might just have to put a solid axle on my truck then