1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

front Differential

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jacobus, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jacobus

jacobus New Member

Hi All ,
    I'm new to the forum . I joined in hopes of helping others and receiving help as well .
    I'm a caterpillar mechanic but try to work on my own vehicles as well .
    I have recently bought a 2007 2500hd 6l gas 210000kms
    I drove onto the lake yesterday and got stuck min the snow . I had switched to 4wd high before going onto the lake . I heard a small clunk just before getting stuck .
    I washed my truck today and raised it off the ground , front end only .
    Switch posistion 2wd .
    I turned each front wheel and noticed that the axles turn as well on both sides .
    I posistioned the switch to 4wd high and heard engagement of the transfer case . I went under the truck and the drive shaft doesn't turn , normal as the rear wheels are still on the ground . I can still turn both the front wheels by hand .
    I drained the oil and found no debris or cuttings just some fuzz on the magnetic plug .
    I removed the front skid plate and noticed that there is a solenoid on the front differential .
    How and when does this solenoid work ? Could this just be an electrical issue ? The dash switch indicates all posistions 2wd , 4wd and 4wd low when selected . But there is no drive to the front wheels ?
    Can anyone help here
    Thank you in advance .

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That is your center axle disconnect (CAD). In 2H, it disengages the front axles from the front driveshaft. In 4H/4L, it locks them together. If you aren't getting any drive to the front end, this is a likely candidate. Could be electrical or could be mechanical -- I'm not real familiar with the operation of the CAD. I'd probably start with a little research and then probably start by checking the electrical (because it's probably easier to probe the wires than take the thing apart).

3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: Hope you find the problem, and it is a easy fix. Good luck!

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the site!

5. jacobus

jacobus New Member

Thank you very much . I can now research the cad .
    Your right , I didn't want to start ripping things apart as that is a waste of time and money .
    I was happy not to see chunks in the oil , this info makes me feel even better , thanks again Mr Shorty
    Update Jan4/10
    I removed the disconnect actuator and switched to 4wd and the plunger of the actuator comes out like it should .
    I tried to use a screwdriver to push the internal part that would normally be moved by the actuator and no luck . So I now have to open things up . I'll keep you all posted .
    Jan 4 evening
    Hi All
    Well ,thats done ! I separated the axle and moved it away from the diff housing drive end ( right hand side ) . Removed the end housing that contains the disconnect and a bunch of debris , gear chunks and pieces of the engaging yoke . Cleaned all that out and bought new stuff at the ex GM dealer in town here as they had all I needed . The yoke and the gear , oil and sealant to reconnect .
    I asked my daughter to give me a hand which she was happy to do . three hours and we were test driving it , OK so far . All the parts incl. oils and sealant were $ 260.00 Can. Good deal as the shop rates these days are , well , wow, way too much .
    Nice that the diff and disconnect are somewhat seperate comparments . Saves on migration of the contaminents destroying the diff too .
    Take care all , hopefully I can be of assistance sometime !

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010