Front end drone

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wooly, Dec 9, 2010.

1. wooly

wooly New Member

Hi I have a 2007 Sierra 2500 HD Classic Duramax with 40k on the clock.

There is a droning noise coming from the front end that becomes noticable around 45mph, it gets louder as speed increases peaking around 57 mph. I am not sure if it gets quieter after that or whether the ambient noise increase due to speed makes me think it gets quieter.

The noise remains regardless of what gear I am in, 2wd / 4wd makes no difference, going over bumps the noise remains BUT, if I turn the steering wheel past about 30 degress to the right the noise totally disappears, when I bring the wheel back to the left the noise starts up again.

There doesn't seem to be any vibration through the steering column, and the steering is fine. I am guessing a wheel bearing?

Any ideas as to the problems cause?

Wooly

2. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree sounds like a wheel bearing. Had to put one on my 03 about two three years ago. Just for your info Timken bearings are O.E. so don't get one at the dealer, just find a local parts supplier that carries Timken bearings. The dealer mark up is stupid! Hope this helps.