Front end knocking noise.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by paul0451, Mar 7, 2009.

1. paul0451

paul0451 New Member

2005 Silverado, 82k miles, has a knocking noise from the front end. Sounds comes from the area round the tires. Only happens at slow speeds, usually over rough terrain, dirt roads etc. Could this be the ball joints?

What should I look for and how can I correct it?

Thanks!
    Paul

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When is it knocking? Over bumps? If so it might have a bad shock bushing. The ball joints can wear out too. Best thing to do is to have someone bounce the front end while you are looking for the problem.

3. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

intermediate steering shaft can do this.
    suspend front up in the air. remove wheel. get pry bar and wedge it between hub and lower control arm. try to pry hub up. if you hear click or clunck - it's ball joint.
    put wheel back on and grab it at 6 and 12. vigorously rock it back and for. if you hear any click or clunck - it's the hub bearing.
    clunck at up/down on bumps can be shocks bushings.
    don't forget engine mounts.

4. rwmoorh

rwmoorh New Member

2003 to 2005, maybe 06, Chevy/GMC trucks and SUVs that used the truck chassis almost all had this steering noise problem. It can sound like the whole front end is about to fall out on the ground. It does it mostly at low speeds when you are making a turn and the road has some uneveness to it.

Where I work we have a long drive and not the smoothest paving job, lost of dips. 5 of us have a vehicle that fell into this GM group and all of us had this noise. It's not dangerous, just annoying. The early GM fix was to remove this section of the sterring shaft and relube it. Gm found that over time it needed to be done again, so they came out with a new shaft replacement and that works very well. You can find ithis problem in the GM tech bulletins. It's not a recall, because there is no safety issue with it. However GM should have replaced them free, because I know several people who had this problem, one guy that had 2 different years of trucks and they stopped buying GM because of it, not knowing what the problem really was.

I would first follow the suggestions and check and rule out tie rods and bearings first, just to be on the safe side. If they are OK, then it is the steering section. One guy I work with replaced it himsellf and the part cost $150.00. Or you can just do the relube which is good for a while. The instructions are in the tech bulletins. Most of the others just ignored it. Mine was still under an extended warranty and the dealer fixed it.

5. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

Like I said - intermediate steering shaft.
    here's a tip for you. ISS will make that thudding noise in 2 situations - when you take of and when you bring her to a sudden halt. And you feel it in the steering wheel.
    Buy NAPA ISS, if this is the case. do not buy OEM ones or any "upgraded" versions. I am aware of 2008 models that still have that issue going. GM did not fix it in over 10 yrs of griping. 'exersizing ISS with GM lube", using GM's own terminology, only postpones replacement, as thud comes back in less than a year.
    I paid around $68 for mine off internet.
    it's 10 minute job to replace.

6. paul0451

paul0451 New Member

I took my truck to a tire dealer. They checked it out and confirmed that it is the steering shaft. Everyone in the store that owns a Chevy truck said they have the same problem.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Paul

7. trailshredder

trailshredder Member

What is does ISS mean? Is this the shaft that goes from the sterring box to the pitman arm?