1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front end making chattering noise when hitting bumps.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by jwzobel2, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jwzobel2

jwzobel2 New Member

while off roading i broke a driver side half shaft. i have sense replaced the shaft, but now when i hit little bumps in the road the front end makes and clanking noise. could i have also bent something else? has anyone else had this trouble?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I have no idea what you have for a vehicle, but worn out sway bar end-links will do that (not all GM trucks have them).
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I agree, sway bar links, shock bushings, could be anything, more info needed
  4. jwzobel2

jwzobel2 New Member

its a 2007 chevy silverado 1500 with a 6 in suspension lift and 2 in body lift.
  5. lokalmotive

lokalmotive New Member

How many miles do you have on the suspension since anything has been changed (shocks, brakes, etc.)? Shocks are usually rated for replacement somewhere around 50k miles. With a lift like that it could be sooner. Have you looked under the front end to see if anything is showing excessive wear or is busted?
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I would defiantly check out the sway bar links. If that shaft broke and was swinging around for a few seconds it may have taken a link out. Does it make the noise if you bounce on the front end when it is parked? You could always have a Big friend start jumping on the front bumper while you carefully look around for the noise. My wife gets really sick of jumping up and down on bumpers for me. Problem is at 125lbs she does not really articulate the suspension much.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

definately check out sway bar links and front end suspension (ie ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arms)
  8. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

the front strut bushings would be a good thing to check out. common failure at around 30,oooMI.... this is when the noises start.