1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front end noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Patman, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Patman

Patman Rockstar

so question... we had snow hit today and i decided to put the truck in auto 4x4 for the first time as i just bought the truck about 4 months ago. i was driving along and heard a noise coming from the front diff, so i put it back in 2wd and it went away, then back in auto 4x4 and the moise came back. its a very faint noise and sounds to me like a bearing has gone. i have never owned a 4x4 before and i was just wondering if that was normal or what the sound may be. any info can deff help here... oh yeah, its a 2006 silverado lt ext cab short box 4x4 with a 4.8
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

when you operate in auto 4wd the front axle is locked as one.

when a slip is detected the transfercase locks the rear axle to the front axle.

what does occur is the front tires must be the same size/wear. if one tire is with more tread or air than the other you will get vibs.

with 4wd all tires need be rotated often 15,ooomi. max. and of the same wear or drive train wear increases.

do not operate in any 4wd position on solid dry pavement at any time.

I would replace all the drive train fluids . rear/front diff./ transmission/ and the transfercase. these need replacing every 30-40,ooomi . to ensure proper long life operation.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I would agree with [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION] about changing the fluids. I make it a point after I buy a used vehicle to do this ASAP. You don't know (or at least most don't) how the previous owner cared for the truck. So buy changing the fluids you may be able to learn a little bit. So this gives you a fresh starting point to map out your maint. schedule. This also gives you a chance to become more knowledgeable about your new ride.
  4. paracutin

paracutin Member 100 Posts

Some amount noise coming from the front end is normal. I have had many 4x4s and they all make a bit of noise when you engage the front end. Lots of things start rotating that you are not accustomed to hearing on a daily basis. I agree with j cat about changing the fluids.