1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front end noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Als09Sierra, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yep. Driver's side cv axle. Got the part, it was in stock, at a local Advanced Auto at a good price. I was very surprised to find it in stock. I wonder if this is a common problem. Took me a couple of hours to install but I had to run to the hardware store a couple of times to get the right wheel nut socket.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Glad I could help! :great: Was one of the boots torn? I am just curious.
  3. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

It is a common problem. I have a mechanic friend and he's changed out a jillion of them.
  4. Als09Sierra

Interesting. It seems like a design flaw or week point in the drive train. At least it wasn't too bad to fix.

- - - Updated - - -

There was nothing obvious on the boot, but grease all over the place. There was a spot of grease by one of the clamps, but that may have happened after the removal.
  5. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

If there was grease all over it no doubt had a hole in the boot. I put a stick thru a boot when mine was new (less than 1500 miles). Did a nice thorough and free job of undercoating in the process.
  6. Als09Sierra

So a few months later and I'm getting some noise when the wheel is locked to the left. I was under the truck this morning changing the oil and happened to notice that the boot is covered in grease. There is some on the brake line and it looks like a mess. I plan to take it to a local garage in the morning to have them take a look at it. I'm not getting any noise like before, but the boot is collapsed.

Could something be causing the boot to burst?