Front end wobble

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Billy D, Jan 13, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. Billy D

Billy D New Member

I have a bad shake of the steering wheel from about 40-60 mph. It is fairly smooth before or after that speed. It seems to kick in more when I turn the wheel very slightly at or around those speeds, or if I hit a bump. I thought it was an unbalanced tire or an alignment, so I had both done and that was not the fix. I had a friend mention it could be a front hub bearing assembly.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on what it could be?

Oh, forgot to mention - it is a 98 Suburban
  2. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

there are alot of things that will only cause it to shake at higher speeds only, warped rotors will do it as well. Any of your front steering or suspension components will too. But most places can check your rotors for free if you bring them in.
  3. Billy D

Billy D New Member

Rotors could be warped for sure. I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced a while ago but nothing was said about any other front end part needs. It does shake pretty bad back and forth when it gets to those speeds, but not always. That's why I am skeptical of it being rotors because it does not happen 100% of the time. Does that make any sense? Does the hub assembly sound like it could be the issue possibly?
  4. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

could be, but I would have the rest of the steering suspension checked as well. the hub can be checked while doing the rest of the front end inspection. Rotors are a possibility as well as a tire issue (not just balance but actual tire issue, out of round, belts seperating etc)
  5. Billy D

Billy D New Member

It is def not the tires or a bad tire. I had them rotated about a week before balance and it still does it with either set on the front.

It is cold today but I am going to jack the car up and take a look at the brakes/rotors, listen for sounds when spitting the wheel, and do the old 12/6 o'clock and 3/9 o'clock tug to see if the wheel moves at all. A lil over a year ago during inspection my mechanic changed something in the front end I don't remember, and also recommended new ball joints in the near future. A few months later (think exactly a year now) I replaced the ball joints. I am leaning towards a hub assembly or the super warped rotor. I hope I can just fig this out today and know what is needed.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  6. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would still have the rotors checked for warpage, its a cheap and easy check. If it is your hubs you can sometimes just touch the rim after a good drive. They will be warm not hot just warm to the touch. Is it 4wd?
  7. Billy D

Billy D New Member

Rotors def warped. Not sure of berings but did the side to side tug and slight plays, and top and bottom tug and no play. Bought new rotors and pads. Will get them installed in a week or so. I'll have the mechanic dona once over on the front end all parts, and may look into new ties since these are old and have rotated front to back and forth several times, so they may be part of the problem.
  8. Billy D

Billy D New Member

Alright, finally have time to update everyone. I been so busy I ended up just getting the rotors & pads and brought it to a shop because I had no time to deal with it in the winter. The shop found the problem to be the warped rotors but more so sticking calipers. They replaced both and the abs sensors (abs light had been on for years) and it is all straight now. While it was there I had the radiator replaced too but that had nothing to do with it, it was just to get a new one because there was a leak in the other one. So if anyone else has this issue, those could be the culprits for you too.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

sticking calipers will definately lead to warped rotors. glad that took care of the problem
  10. Billy D

Billy D New Member

Yeah, I think more than just the warped rotors is the calipers would stick from time to time, most of the time - and that along with the warped rotors were throwing the steering wheel wobble.