1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Front light bar and lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by duffman, Sep 22, 2009.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. duffman

duffman New Member

I am looking to add a front light bar and lights. Something simple, not bulky like the bull bars. Does anyone have any pics of their set-up, preferably the NBS. Also, anyone have any luck with the Hella FF75'.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Now I know you said you didn't want to see the OBS truck style, and I also know you don't like the big gaudy bull bars but consider this a bump to the top of the pile. If you want some lights on the front but don't want something that sticks out too much, put a nice set of 6 or 8" lights BEHIND your front grille for a nice stealth look. I don't have any pictures of mine lit up unfortunately because I sold the truck before it was complete, but I will tell you that was one of my favorite mods on my truck. If you look close you can see them behind the grille.

I have never used Hella lights before but I have heard they are good quality, everything in this picture is PIAA by the way.

[​IMG]

3. duffman

duffman New Member

thanks for the input. I am leaning towards putting them behind the grill now. With the NBS any bull bar or tow hook mounted bar will sit to low on the bumper. I think I am going to install a grillcraft black mesh grill and put the lights behind that.

4. TRPLXL2

You gave me an awesome idea for your truck, since the GMC has such a huge opening for the grille I think that would look awesome. The black mesh grille would look awesome with the lights behind it, and in that case I would get a set of Hella "black magic" lights that way they would be really stealthy on your truck. Sometimes the brush guard is too much on these trucks, so I am glad I could give you another idea for the lights.

P.S. I also noticed NO difference in operating temperature with the lights in front of the radiator, that had been my concern when I did mine and found it to be of no problem. As a matter of fact when I was at a car show last weekend I saw a Dodge Ram with four 6" lights mounted behind his grille, and talk about a sweet light setup!!!!!! :gasp:

5. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

In my dodge i had 2 in hellas behind the grill and loved them i wish i could find a way to do this on a nnbs silverado

6. duffman

duffman New Member

I was looking at the Black Magic Lights... They look pretty cool. Any input on them , as far as brightness, projection distance, durability, etc? Also, I have read they come with 55w bulbs, can those be replaced with 100w bulbs?

7. mxracer919

mxracer919 Rockstar

8. coombia21

coombia21 Rockstar 100 Posts

trpxl2 how did you mount the lights behind the grill i was wanting to do that same thing just to keep the rocks from hitting it and to keep them out of sight

thanks in advance dan

9. TRPLXL2

My installation

Well I took the radiator shroud off first, and found that the two most outer holes were a perfect distance for mounting the lights. I had to leave two of the radiator shroud pins out, and then I threaded the bolts up through the existing holes in the grille shell. This will not work on a stock grille shell, the lights weigh a lot and will bend the hell out of your stock grille. I had a billet insert with 4mm bars, and the extra brackets for the grille made this possible in my truck. Here is a picture of the top of the light, you can see where the bolt and nut are. I had the nut on top of the shroud and when I tightened it down it held the shroud down, and just so I didn't have that ugly bolt sticking out of the top I bought a chrome bolt cover and put it on top to hid it.

[​IMG]

Here you can kind of see where the bolts went up through at, I hope this helps because it's kind of hard to explain and I don't have any other pictures of that install unfortunately. But I must say that it is a lot better mounting them that way, versus drilling holes in the condenser bracket like a lot of people do. I didn't do that because I kept picturing the drill slipping, and a lot of money down the drain if I missed!

[​IMG]

10. Alaskan

Alaskan Rockstar

I can definitely see where placing the lights behind the grill would look nice. My set up was all homebuilt, except for the lights. I understand that the newer body styles are probably different but basically I took some ad 120 tube and a lot of 5/16'' plate, along with a lot of head scratching and "why didn't I just buy a light bar??" I fabricated a piece that I think looks pretty clean. The next step would be hook into the tow hooks, but that's for later.

Lights: Piaa 520i Driving. These are sick lights. They shoot out a nice yellow beam, which is great for the snow and ice fog I live in. Or Light Force lights. A lot of my buds run these, they are literally bullet proof.

Attached Files: