Front seat removal

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by aboston, Dec 22, 2009.

1. aboston

aboston Member

I am going to be replacing the carpet in my truck soon and will need to remove the front seats. The nuts I need to remove are an odd shape and appear to be metric?? (15mm) The truck was built in Flint, MI and I am wondering why it has metric hardware on it.

ANYWAY, is there a special socket used for these nuts, or will a regular 12 pt socket work? The 15mm 12pt fits, but I didn't torque on it because I really don't want to break anything (I imagine it is torqued pretty tight). It felt like it could turn it, but I don't want to take any unecessay chances until I hear from someone who has taken these seats out before. Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

They are 15mm. All manufacturers have converted mostly to metric because the U.S. tried to convert the entire country to the metric a couple of years ago in order to make things easier, but it just never caught on. The bolts are going to feel like they are cross threaded because GM puts in a black tar substance to ensure that the bolts don't back out easily.

3. craftsman454

craftsman454 New Member

the front bolts can be removed with a 6 point 15mm socket and the rear bolts use an 11mm 6 point socket.

4. cecil

cecil New Member

I have remove these nuts with the metric socket, but I want to know what kind of nuts are these, there nuts are in the front of the chair, and there is same type head but the back ones are bolts.