1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front tires dont spin in 4x4

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by footballmn, Nov 3, 2009.

1. footballmn

footballmn New Member

ok here is the deal.I have a 2002 s10 zr2 with on the fly 4x4. I push the 4 hi button and it clicks like it always has coming from the passenger side of thetruck behind the kick panel. i can also hear it engaging under neath the truck. this suggests to me that the transfer case is engaging. Also i tried putting it in 4 lo and it gears down properly yet still nothing coming from the front tires in either 4 lo or 4 hi any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2009
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

1st thing I'd probably do would be to put it in 4H or 4L, jack up one front wheel, and rotate that wheel. When it's working properly, you won't be able to rotate the wheel freely. If you can rotate that wheel freely, look to see if the driveshaft is rotating with the wheel. That should be enough to tell you if the Center Axle Disconnect (CAD) is or isn't engaging or if the transfer case isn't locking in the front drivetrain.
  3. bucknasty

bucknasty New Member

I dont know a whole lot about it but there is a shifter fork inside the t-case that goes out ive heard it is a pretty easy fix (never done it but know people that have) I have a friend that had the same kind of issues..
  4. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i had a similar problem with a ford ranger (different truck, same problem) but it turns out my hubs were worn out and werent engaging properly..everything else worked..transfer case engaged, front drive shaft turned and the front axles were turning..just somthing to keep in mind
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

That year of trucks do not have hubs. The disconnect for the drivetrain is in the front axle itself, in the center chunk. There is a 2-wire connector going into the front chunk that operates the actuator. The Transfer case is always outputting some power to the front driveshaft, but the actuator is off. He should have one of the NVXXX cases. It simply shifts how much power is being sent ot each driveshaft depending on shifter configuration.

I'd check the wires for that actuator. Check for broken connectors, worn out wires, blown fuses, etc.