1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Tires Wobble Over Bumps

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by aspilios, Jun 29, 2010.

1. aspilios

aspilios New Member

hello.
    I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD, and I just recently Installed Torsion Keys to Level It. I have 34 inch tires and 17 inch wheels. I noticed that after i go over a speed bump I hear a clunk and my front tires wobble in and out... I had a friend with an older chevy that did the same thing after he lifted it and he never fixed it... Is this normal? How can i fix this. But I then saw a chevy 2500 go over the bump and his tires just moved up and down, and not left and right. Is this a ball joint issue? Or an Alignment Issue. Thanks

I also noticed with the wheel straight the tires lean a bit inward at the tops.
    Thanks for any incite on this topic...Alex
  2. Cuda1500

Cuda1500 Member

sounds somewhat like a ball joint issue to me you can check by jackin the front end up and have some one stick a pry bar under the tire and push up and down to see if there is any play in the top or botton ball joints.
  3. aspilios

aspilios New Member

Hey thanks I'll check it out. How much you figure they will be to get replaced?
  4. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

it could aslo be a idle arm is there a shake in the stearing wheel when you driving down the road?
  5. aspilios

aspilios New Member

There is a little bit of a shake but not bad just feels like a tire could be out of balance..Can i check the idler arm as well? thanks
    Alex
  6. o3gerber

o3gerber Rockstar 100 Posts

you can check it by lifting both front tires off the ground, grab one tire and move it back and forth in the same motion that it would move when you are steering, and if the other tire does not move at all it usualy means that the idler arm is warn, something to try
  7. fxracerx

fxracerx Member

My 97 1500 with 6 in lift and 38inch boggers would do this going over speed bumps and train tracks. It went away when I had the wheel bearings replaced.
  8. aspilios

aspilios New Member

Thanks everybody for all the replies... I took it to a tires plus near me today to see what they would say, I was told Idler Arm and Pitman Arm are shot. I need the wheel bearing assembly on the passenger side, and the upper ball joint on the driver side. they quoted me a grand total of 1300 dollars! I looked into doing the work myself, I am pretty confident in doing the wheel bearing assembly. But i would like some input from all of you on what i should do about the rest... Can I do it myself. I do have mechanical experience and i know my tools so what do yall think and whats gonna be the worst or hardest part.
    Thank you
    Alex