1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Front Wheel hub bearing exploded......

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Dactyl, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

So I am digging into this and was wondering if I can just replace just the bearings or do I need to replace the hub as well. I have been calling around and some places sell the hub and bearing assembly together and some sell just the bearings.

2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L Z71 31k
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

You will have to replace the axle hub as well. They are built as one unit. It only takes about 20 min with an air chisel or 30min with a regular chisel.
  3. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

Well I got it changed out, picked a wheel hub bearing assembly at autozone for $173, and had it on in about a hour. Took it around the block and it was good to go! Then was going to the girls place about 15min ago and it just kicked out of drive, as if it was in neutral. So I coasted down the mountain side to the next light and tried 1st and 2nd and 3rd, 3rd didnt work but 1st and 2nd did so I drove back to my place in 2nd sigh.......
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds like your truck might have ate something in the tranny... did you regear when you put in the lift etc????
  5. swedp

swedp Rockstar

i replaced my hubs on my s10 a while ago,and i believe thier the same on big bro┬┤s trucks. i mean constuction.might be bigger but same procidier to change,there are several brands making them but be aware of chines steel