1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

front wheels not engaging

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bl97tahoe, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bl97tahoe

bl97tahoe New Member

i have a 97 tahoe 4x4. the front wheels are not engaging. i replaced the eletric acautor with a manual oneand the front still will not engage. it has a manual transfer and it works great. what can cause this?
  2. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Sounds like maybe there is an issue in the transfer case itself? Did it used to work, just bought it and didn't work?
  3. bl97tahoe

bl97tahoe New Member

i bought the truck about six months ago and i thought work because of the way it shift into and out of fourwheel drive. i had a 98 z71 and it shifted the same way. thats why i assumed it work along with the owner telling me it works. is there a way to identify the problem?
  4. Chevyboy96

Chevyboy96 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Not sure, hopefully someone with better experience than me can chime in. Maybe lift it up and check out if the driveline is working etc.? Sorry not more help:neutral:
  5. stanstrif

stanstrif Member

i have a 97 gmc yukon my 4wd was sounding like it was going into gear but it had no act. i thought i stripped out my transfer case pulling someone out of the snow. turns out i stripped out my cv axel on the driver side. if it sounds like it wants to ingauge but it has no act try turning the wheel all the way to the left or right and back up if it sounds bad it is only a cv axel around $90 and 1hr of work easy fix
  6. bl97tahoe

bl97tahoe New Member

The cv joints are fine. i think maybe in the front differential is messed up.i can pull in the front wheels and the front drive shaft acts like it trying to catch but there not enought teeth to grab. How hard it to replace those gears?