Front window washer motor.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by perezj1963, Oct 7, 2005.

1. perezj1963

perezj1963 New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum I have recently acquired a 1999 2500 Suburban 6.5L TD and have had a few little problems that are being resolved.

At the moment I have a problem with the front window washers do not work. The rear window washer works beautifully. When I operate the rear washer there is a motor that I can hear working, the location of that noise is from where the washer bottle is. But when I operate the front washer there is no apparent motor noise from anywhere appart from the main wiper motor on the firewall.

I assume that there must be two motors that operate at the washer bottle one for the front and one for the rear, is this correct?

What is the easiest way to get to the washer bottle to check the motors function.

Appart from a line blockage which I have checked what could be the problem with the washer not functioning?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Regards to all

Jess

2. Guest

Guest Guest

There are two different bottles, and two different motors for front, and rear.
    One of the easiest ways to check the motor is to have someone operate the washer switch, while you stand at the front of the truck, and listen for the sound of the motor. Your motor is located on the bottom of the washer bottle. Check for loose connections, and obviously check your fuses. If you have a multimeter check for voltage, at the motor connection when the swtich is applied. It's possible that the motor has gone bad. I don't know if you can buy just the pump motor, or if the bottle, and pump motor are part of a package.
    Keep us posted on your progress, and any other questions you might have along the way.

3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

motors are readily available at most parts stores for around 10 to 20 buck

4. perezj1963

perezj1963 New Member

Thanks Guys,
    Where is the two bottles? I have only seen one in front of one of the batteries.

Thanks again,
    Jess

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

there should be 2 bottles in the front engine compartment, one is for radiater overflow and has a hose running to the radiater, the other should be on passenger fender behind battery and has a hose going to the firewall and to the washer sprayers. I just checked the manual on my 94 and the rear washer uses the same bottle as the front so if the bottle is low it may not have enuf fluid to make it to the back, top it off and see if it works then.
    let us know it that doesnt help.

6. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

Did this problem ever get fixed? I'd like to know how it turned out...

7. perezj1963

perezj1963 New Member

Ok Guys, recently as in the last 2 days I found where the washer motors are.

They are on the left hand side of the engine bay under the battery.
    There is a Battery tray which is bolted to the fender and the bottle is under it and the two Yes 2 motors are attached to the washer bottle. To remove the washer bottle (on a 1999 6.5TD Suburban) you will need to unscrew the obvious screws you can see and there are two screws that are accessed via the front left indicator recess after you remove it, they are on the vertical support pillar.

I found that the motors and wiring to the washer bottle are perfect, the bad news is I obviously have a problem in the wiring between the plug where the washer bottle plugs in and the fusebox. :(
    Thanks for all your assistence, guys.

Regards
    Jess

8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yikes, wiring problems can be a headache. Are the connections rusted and/or crusted over perhaps?

9. heftylefty58

heftylefty58 Member

Hey Jess, Did you ever find the core cause and fix to your problem? I bought a used 2003 Yukon this month, and just noticed that my front washer pump isn't working, either.