Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Frozen Tonno

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sfilipe, Dec 8, 2009.

1. sfilipe

sfilipe Member

Alright so I know the solution is warm it up but where I live right now it is -45 celsius with the wind chill and will probably get colder. My tonno is a Roll-n-Lock and it is not the automatic one. When I try and open it it is not the gasket part that keeps the water out that is frozen but the locks that attach to my tailgate that is frozen (well I think, I have not got it open yet). Anyways I was just wondering if you guys had any tips so that this does not happen again, short of running two interior heaters into the bed of my truck. Thanks for any help!

2. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

it will freeze again, but warm water would be a quick fix....?

3. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't know if it will help or make it worse, maybe saturate the mechanism with WD-40?

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Move to a warmer climate?:rolleyes:

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Try spraying the locks with silicone, it'll keep the parts lubricated better than WD-40 and make it harder for ice to stick.
    You might also try buying one of the small cans of door lock thaw sold at most auto parts stores.

6. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

This might seem really primitive, but did you try pounding on the cover with your fist? I used to have a pace edwards jackrabbit cover that would freeze up in winter, a couple hits was usually enough to break the ice in it loose so it would work.

7. stefman722

stefman722 New Member

haha!! I undertand fully what your going through. I washed my truck 2 days ago when the cold went full swing and my tonneau cover froze shut. I just left it at my girlfriend's work inside their shop for the night.

8. paulthomas2

paulthomas2 New Member

Even i am very much interested to know this......this is really very big issue........can anyone tell me the solution how to avoid this.......any information is highly welcomed...

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

We all have to know if this worked out!

10. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Silicon spray, do not use warm or hot water. Warm and hot water create condensation that freezes VERY quick, use extremely cold water or rubbing alcohol, thus creating more time for the water to drain out of the locking area without it freezeing so quick, but at the same time use a can of compressed air to help blow the water out then get a good coat of silicon spray, keep us posted