1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frustrating cold idle problem ?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JTWard, Aug 30, 2013.

1. JTWard

JTWard Member

I have a 1990 Chevy 1500 Silverado, 305 w/ TBI injection. New Injectors, fuel pump & tank & filter. Idle is way too low when started, So I installed a new "Idle Air Control Module" but it made little difference. Last month I had some electrical problems that wound up being a bad EPCM and we installed a new EPCM and calpak chip. But no matter what I do, I can't find this low Idle gremlins. I've looked for a vacuum leak but I can't find it and the EPCM doesn't leave any trouble codes as I have check five times now. I'm out of ideas now ???? Thank you !
  2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Have you took off the throttle body and actually cleaned it out?...run some sea foam through your brake booster vaccum line and see if that helps also...maybe it will help clean the gunk out and idle better
  3. JTWard

JTWard Member

well everything we've found so far shows a clean, non sludge engine internals. When we put new head gaskets on everything was spotless ? We've cleaned everything we've touched so far, But I can't figure out this last nagging idle problem. I'm going to try squirting a little carb cleaner around the engines intake manifold to see if I can locate a vacuum leak ? Thank you !
  4. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member

Ya it does kinda sound your getting a small vaccum leak...those are the worst ones to find!
  5. JTWard

JTWard Member

Well even shooting carb cleaner around the intake manifold might work, But I'm doubtful as we just install new gaskets when we did the head gaskets last year. It doesn't leak and fluids, so if there is a flaw or crack, and I'm not saying there is, it sure is hiding pretty well.
  6. edsmagichands

edsmagichands Member

sounds more like you might be a little "fat" typically a small vac leak would increase idle. try adding propane through throttle body,idle up its lean, down its rich. don't forget MAP & MAF sensors. i' don't remember if they put MAF on the 90's but a dirty MAF will cause idle issues. also don't know anything about the "chip" but any time you "tweak" a PCM you are asking for ghosts to appear.