1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel additives? enlighten me please

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by ohiomossyoak, Dec 8, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. ohiomossyoak

ohiomossyoak New Member

Just lookin into fuel additives.I have used Lucas prior an cheapo stuff..Guy was telling me b12 chemtool was gettin good reviews...My suburban sat for 10 months an just tryin to get it up to par.
    what do yall think

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

run a can of Seafoam! and then do the intake treatment as well.. That really will help the most. There are a bunch of threads on the site that talk about seafoam and its benefits!
  3. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

x2 on the SEAFOAM when added to the fuel tank, and cleaning the throttle body & intake... their entire line of products has never caused me any problems (with seals, gaskets, o-rings. etc.).
  4. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

x3 on the Seafoam! Put a full can in your gas tank - you'll be glad you did!
  5. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Are automobile manufacturers advocating the use of fuel and engine additives for their products? There is a wise old adage. "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I realize people have an innate compulsion to tinker with and screw around with things and have always been tempted by magical elixirs. Octane boosters, oil additives, fuel additives etc....Me, I don't spend my $$$ on fuel or engine additives or the myriad of products and snake oils out there that claim to do this or that unless the manufacturer recommends a products use. If there were additives that worked wonders I am sure every engine manufacturer would recommend them. But to each his own.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Seafoam........
  7. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

The FIRST place I ever saw Seafoam for sale was at a GM stealership...It was THE recommended top end cleaner they sold in the 80's...
  8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

One good thing about the the better additives ( Seafoam ) is that it will remove any water that has formed in your gas tank from condensation. Since your trucks been sitting for 10 months I would add Seafoam to the gas tank, take off the throttlebody and clean both sides with a spray throttlebody cleaner like CRC or Seafoam t/body cleaner and a old soft toothbrush, as I've said before on this site DON'T use carb cleaner. I would also use the Seafoam spray to clean inside the intake maniflod. If you go to Seafoam.com its shows how to use there products.
  9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2! that way you know things are clean, and here in MN water in the fuel system will keep you from going anywhere
  10. 04-silverado

04-silverado Rockstar 100 Posts

I think that I understand from whence you are coming. But there are times when additives are necessary (and/or useful). One example, just mentioned here, is "water in the fuel".

Ethanol (matters not whether it's 10% or 85%) contains alcohol... and alcohol attracts moisture... which can eventually lead to "product separation". It is that moisture/water which can corrode/damage metal parts. So using SEAFOAM, not only as a "cleaner" but also to mitigate "water in the fuel" makes sense. Some experts say that fuel (ethanol especially) can degrade within a matter of 90 days.

There's also the problem of moisture in the OIL... each time there's a TEMP change/difference between the AIR and interior engine... condensation forms. Typically, it gets burned off / evaporates when the engine heats up... but many "short trips" (with cooling in between them) can degrade engine lubrication... so a little SEAFOAM is useful there as well (depending on one's driving habits).

Then too, there's the matter of buying a USED vehicle. For example; I bought my '04 Silverado and also my wife's '00 Buick Century "used". Her Century exhibited "noisy lifters"... when started, until the engine completely warmed-up. I attributed such behavior to "sticky" lifters. So, I changed the OIL and added SEAFOAM... within 500 miles of driving, there was no longer any "noise" from the lifters (even in the dead cold of winter).

Also there are additives for the coolant system. GM dealers even use "stop leak pellets" (made by BARS, IIRC)... to address minor seepage issues.

But, back to your point:

I would not go about experimenting with "additives" just for the hell of it... I always try to determine if there's a need for same.

...the above is just my 2cents, YMMV