Fuel Cap

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by stinger44, Sep 7, 2011.

1. stinger44

stinger44 Rockstar

DIC keeps displaying "tighten fuel cap" and my CEL keeps having to be reset. Do these caps go bad or is it the fuel neck the cap screws on to? Can't seem to find a definitive answer in here. Trying to re-tighten the cap isn't working.:grrrrrr:

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Most likely its not the cap its the pain-in-the-as* evap system. I replaced mine and a year later same issues. I just turn the code off when it comes up. I also tried replacing the gas cap which didn't help.

3. BillM

BillM Rockstar 100 Posts

SilveradoTrailblazer is probably correct. However, caps do go bad and it is part of the evap system which is smog control stuff. Smog stations check gas caps as part of the smog cert process in Calif. I bet auto parts stores can check your cap for free.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As noted the EVAP system has been known to cause this problem and the gaskets on the fuel caps have been known to go bad.
    The fuel cap is the cheapest item so you might want to start there, if that doesnt fix it start looking at any flexible hoses on the EVAP system.

5. stinger44

stinger44 Rockstar

Fuel Cap and CEL

Thanks folks, I appreciate the ideas. I'll start with the fuel cap even though it physically looks fine. It's a small inconvenience but and inconvenience anyway.