1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fuel delivery problem on '95 TBI

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jrduo4, Jun 29, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jrduo4

jrduo4 New Member

Hi everyone! My 1995 5.7L TBI seems to have a fuel delivery problem. Looking for suggestions as to what it could be.

I've noticed a real lack of fuel mileage lately (used to get around 14, now only 10), and a pronounced loss of power at the upper end. I had the air filter off and the motor running, and noticed a lot of gas being fed to the throttle body. The air baffle plates were almost closed at idle, and you could see the gas on them (they were wet). The fuel regulator also had a lot of varnish on it, and was wet with gas also (not a lot of gas, but you could see it). You can smell gas in the air filter also.

Anyone think this might be the fuel pressure regulator, or maybe one of the sensors (IAC, Map, etc.)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  2. L0sts0ul

L0sts0ul New Member 100 Posts

generally I belive this is normal as my truck runs similar.

without a air/fuel meter its hard to tell... but id honestly look at ignition for top end explosion more.
  3. unplugged

unplugged New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What does the color of the residue in the tailpipe look like? Black soot would indicate a rich mixture. High fuel pressure wouldn't necessarily cause poorer mileage as long as the gas is being burnt. Raw gas into the exhaust will cause premature failure of the cat converter. Smelling any rotten eggs lately?
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How long since a full tuneup? AC Delco plugs, cap, rotor. Napa Premium wires. Fuel and air filter.
  5. jrduo4

jrduo4 New Member

Thanks for the replies! I just changed the cap and rotor and put on new plug wires and plugs. Air filter was just a month old, and I changed the pcv valve. There was some rust on one post on the distributer cap (#3 hole), that could be causing some problems!

I have a fuel filter, just have to find time in the next few days to install. Haven't had a chance to test the upper end power yet. Hopefully it's back!

Would it be a good idea to pull the IAC and clean it, and also the EGR valve and clean it and the ports?

Thanks!